|How to Manage Your Site
There are two ways to manage your site – globally and specific to a ring membership.
What Is a "Global" Edit?
A "global" edit of your site will automatically change all the information associated with one of your URLs in every ring that it belongs to. This is the quickest and easiest way to edit one URL for multiple memberships.
To make global edits, follow these steps:
From the "View Websites in URL Order" page, you can also click the "Get SSNB Code" link to get the SSNB version of the NavBar that will work for all rings that you join.
- Open your My Account page and then click the URLs tab/link. This will open your "View Websites in URL Order" page.
- Find the URL you want to edit, then click the "edit settings" link found directly below it. This will open your "Global U#/Site Information Change" page.
- Scroll through the various things you can edit and make changes as you go.
- Click the "change" button at the bottom of the page to make the changes take effect.
Please note: In order to delete a registered URL, you must first delete it from any rings it belongs to. Once you have deleted the URL from all its memberships a "delete" link will appear beneath the URL. The only way to "Delete Site from Ring" is via a ring-specific edit(see below).
What Is a "Ring-specific" Edit?
Some members prefer to change the title and description to more accurately match the topic of the various rings in which they have memberships.
To make ring-specific edits, follow these steps:
From the "Edit Site Information" page, you can also do the following:
- Open your My Account page and then click the Memberships tab/link. This will open your "Your Ring Memberships" page.
- Find and click on the Site Title that corresponds to the ring membership that you wish to edit. This will open the "Edit Site Information" page for that specific ring membership.
- Make your changes and click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page once you finish.
- Contact the Ring Manager.
- Promote your site.
- Get the ring-specific navigation code.
- Test the status of the NavBar
- Delete your site from the ring.
Changing a URL while Retaining Ring Membership?
If you moved a page of your site or moved to a new host, you'll need to change your registered URL. You should NOT delete your membership then resubmit it to the ring. Instead, either change your URL globally or via the ring membership. Globally is the method we recommend.
Please note that in most cases, you will want to manage your site globally. If you choose to edit your site information via a ring membership, you will change your site info for that membership only.
Also, if you choose to change your U# via your WebRing account, you must remember to change the U# in the code you added to your site.
If ever in doubt about whether you have properly installed the NavBar, use the Navigation Wizard to test your code. The test results will let you know what you need to do if there is a problem with your NavBar.